Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Transformation in the Fall, Portrait in Oil and Silver Leaf







Artist Statement for “Transformation” by Amanda Carey Scott

Transformation” 14x24” Oil and Gold Leaf on Canvas, February 2016, $2300.00



She is reveling in falling leaves, symbol of the changing season. She is immersed in them, embracing nature. I also suggest that the leaves are transforming her. Like she is disappearing into them.

I created this piece wanting to illustrate that not only do we affect nature, but that it in turn transforms us with mercurial wisdom. In the painting I do not know if the leaves mean to bury her or give her wings. I suppose that change is always like that.

The idea for the painting came to me in a flash and I've spent the rest of the time painting and learning the meaning of it.

The Process
The canvas was gessoed and sanded smooth with many layers until the texture of the canvas disappeared. I then spayed a layer of silver. I drew out the figure and started painting. I had meant to keep the leaves simple. They were moving after all. But then, later I decided that I loved to paint leaves and detailed a few that were closer to the viewer. I then added silver leaf and tinted it to look between copper and gold.
This painting took over six months to complete because I was learning as I went and have, therefore transformed it many times, adding layers upon layers of detail. This painting had a mind of it's own and I fallowed its lead.

Amanda Carey Scott

I came to Maui with nothing, and through the grace of Maui and the many kind people I met, was able to live here. I had a dream of living here as an artist. It took me 9 years to make that life a reality. I have lived on almost every part of this Island. Today Huelo, Maui is my home.


No comments:

Post a Comment