Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Hawaiian Mermaid, Lilies of Desire

Lilies of Desire, 12x24 inches, oil paint and wood burning. $1700.00
Amanda Scott


This painting is about the sensual and joyful immersion of the senses in nature, specifically what it's like to take a dip in clear blue water. The lily is a symbol of spiritual growth. As the story goes, the beautiful flower grows from the muck at the bottom of the pond. As we are shaped by life's imperfections, so too we reach for the light and bloom.

Somehow, when I submerge myself in water I remember the overwhelming power of nature. In stark contract the earthly cares seem so insignificant; only a nutrient rich mud.

Pyrography and Oil Process


I use the characteristics of the wood to determine the design. I begin with looking at the grain of the wood, and I wait to be inspired by what my mind imagines there. Sometimes I get the whole painting in a flash and go looking for the right piece of wood. Generally I like swirling, water like, patterns.

I may spray a thin layer of metal paint over the wood, perhaps stain it any color I like, or I will leave it natural. Then I draw the design out, keeping in mind the flow of the wood. I blend my lines into the that. Then burn the dark lines in with a phyrographic tool. All the shading I do with oils.


I will detail the face of my figure, but only draw out with minimal shading, her companion subject. I like to blend many styles (drawing, painting) of image making together to provide interest, and to also express my message which is that change is constant and that all things are connected. To finish a painting is to kill it with perfect stillness. I want movement, a sense of growth, appearing and disappearing of elements.  

No comments:

Post a Comment