Tuesday, March 22, 2016






Secret of Transformation”, oil paint and wood burning, 11 x 14 inches, $1700.00

As the Ancient story goes a brave troupe of koi swam up steam the longest river in China, the Yellow river. At the end of their journey they they found the tallest waterfall, it's heights unknown. Having accomplished their feat they determined to return down stream. However, there was one Koi who determined to swim up the waterfall for the challenge and adventure. Now he or she almost died many times, but verily, she reached the top, upon which time she transformed into the dragon. To this day the Koi is a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement.

I see a relationship as a trial such as this, where two people agree to love and transform each other. In my mind every man is looking for the woman who holds the key to his transformation from a brave koi into a dragon.

This painting is also of a woman who knows the secret of success.

Process

This work is created on pine wood panel. I used the grain of the wood in my design, particularly of the water. The lines are burnt into the wood with a hot tool like a metal tipped pen. I do this to add depth, and create a tactile element to add variety. My concentration is on creating multiple dimensions to the representation. Not only is it a painting, but also a carving. And there is drawing that I have left unpainted on the koi. The Koi is symbolically unfinished until it becomes a dragon. The dragon is ethereal so it blends with the silver of the painted wood, the background.

The female figure is complete, painted in high detail, though as your eye travels away from the face she becomes more transparent, her hair blending and transforming into the water. She is more earthly, while the koi and dragon are mythical. Her hands, I like to think, are weaving her earthly hair into the element of water. So this piece is about bridging the gap between reality and dreams, and also creating one's dreams on the physical plane.

Amanda Carey Scott

I came to Maui with nothing, and through the grace of Maui and the many kind people I met, was able to live here. I had a dream of living here as an artist. It took me 9 years to make that life a reality. I have lived on almost every part of this Island. Today Huelo, Maui is my home.



No comments:

Post a Comment