Monday, March 21, 2016

Air Elemental

 Artist Statement for Air Elemental

Grounded in nature she is a home for Weavers to make their nests. She is the bridge between the sky and the earth. She is appearing and disappearing, such is her supernatural gift to belong to two worlds. She is human and nature spirit. Patron of creatures that fly, to birds, and especially the butterfly. She is shy yet powerful. Eternal and graspable.

Pyrography and Oil Process

Amanda Scott Artist Statement

I use the characteristics of the wood to determine the design. I begin with looking at the grain of the wood, and I wait to be inspired by what my mind imagines there. Sometimes I get the whole painting in a flash and go looking for the right piece of wood. Generally I like swirling, water like, patterns.

I may spray a thin layer of metal paint over the wood, perhaps stain it any color I like, or I will leave it natural. Then I draw the design out, keeping in mind the flow of the wood. I blend my lines into the that. Then burn the dark lines in with a phyrographic tool. All the shading I do with oils.

I will detail the face of my figure, but only draw out with minimal shading, her companion subject. I like to blend many styles (drawing, painting) of image making together to provide interest, and to also express my message which is that change is constant and that all things are connected. To finish a painting is to kill it with perfect stillness. I want movement, a sense of growth, appearing and disappearing of elements.  


No comments:

Post a Comment